One of Burning Man’s 10 principles (read them here) is radical self expression! You have free reign to dress to the limits of your wildest imagination. Creating looks for the burn is one of the most exciting preparatory steps for many people. The only guidelines we suggest are to consider the following while assembling your looks:
- Leave no trace - be mindful of how MOOPy your outfit is. MOOP is Matter Out Of Place. Sequins, feathers, glitter, stringy things - make sure they are well-attached and will not fall off. Items made with glue guns do NOT provide sufficient holding power for the harsh playa dust. If you’re gluing, use something strong like E6000.
- Sustainability - aim to make your outfits as eco-friendly as possible. Glo-sticks and throwaway items are undesirable. Use battery powered LED for your personal lighting so it doesn’t end up as trash after one night. In the same vein, thrift stores are a perfect place to shop - sustainable gems abound!
Here’re some suggestions for finding awesome playa looks:
- Thrift stores - the best place to find hidden treasures and items you can re-work
- Camp Mystic’s amazing COSTUME TENT! (Borrow whatever you like and please try to return it)
- Burning Man classifieds on Facebook (join the main community which has 34,000 members, and a local one too, if available). Many artists, costumiers etc sell gorgeous stuff on these sites.
- Etsy and Ebay
- Phoenix Rising https://phoenixrisingartists.com/
- Five & Diamond https://fiveanddiamond.com/
- Om Gaia Tree https://omgaiatree.com/
- Queen of Hearts Clothing https://queenofheartsclothing.com/
- Temple Ro https://www.templero.com/
- Ayya Wear https://www.ayyawear.com/
- Instagram, Pinterest etc and follow the links
- If all else fails, Amazon. Not the most sustainable option but they do have everything.